Learn Korean Language Lesson 18 – Korean Adverbs of Place – Here/There
Continue from Learn Korean Language Lesson 17 – Korean Question Word – Where. Today we come to Learn Korean Lesson 18 – Korean Adverbs of Place – Here/There – 여기/저기/거기 [ yeo-gi/jeo-gi/geo-gi ]. We use 여기 (here) like English word – Here. But, don’t use 저기/거기 (there) like English word – There. In Korean, there are two way to say there, whether 저기/거기. Even though both 저기/거기 means there in English but the usage is different. This rule is same as Korean Demonstrative Adjectives – This/That/That.
Korean Adverbs of Place – Here/There
Korean Adverbs of Place – Here/There – 여기, 저기, and 거기 are used to refer to the proximity of things from the standpoint of the speaker or listener. Korean people use 여기 indicated something close to the speaker. 저기 indicated something far from both the speaker and the listener. In here, 거기 can use to indicate something mentioned earlier in conversation, or something close to the listener but far from the speaker.
- 여기는 식당이에요. [ yeo-gi-neun-sik-dang-i-e-yo ] – This is a cafetaria.
- 저기는 가게예요. [ jeo-gi-neun-ga-ge-ye-yo ] – That is a shop.
- 저기는 도서관이에요. [ jeo-gi-neun-do-seo-gwan-i-e-yo ] – That is a library.
Korean Question Word – Where – 어디 can be used with 여기, 저기, and 거기 when asking about places.
- 여기는 어디예요? [ yeo-gi-neun-eo-di-ye-yo ] – Where are we?
- 저기는 어디예요? [ jeo-gi-neun-eo-di-ye-yo ] – What is that (building) over there?
- 저기는 가게예요? [ jeo-gi-neun-ga-ge-ye-yo ] – Is there a store?
Korean Adverbs of Place – Here/There – 여기, 저기, and 거기 can be used with Korean Place Marker – 에서 when there are action Korean Verbs involve (에서 is a particle that indicates where the action conveyed by the verb phrase takes place. This Korean place marker is used with action verbs, with the exception of 있어요/없어요 and 가요/와요, which take the Korean place marker 에).
- 테리 씨는 여기에서 친구를 만나요. [ te-ri-ssi-neun-yeo-gi-e-seo-chin-gu-reul-man-na-yo ] – Terry meets his friends here.
- 비비안 씨는 저기에서 일해요. [ bi-bi-an-ssi-neun-jeo-gi-e-seo-il-hae-yo ] – Vivian works over there.
- 에미 씨는 저기에서 밥을 먹어요. [ e-mi-ssi-neun-jeo-gi-e-seo-ba-beul-meo-geo-yo ] – Amy eats (his meal) there.
Summary of Korean Demonstrative Adjectives and Korean Adverbs of Place
|이 (this)||그 (that)||저 (that)|
|When to use?||Object near the speaker||(1) Object near the listener(2) Object is not visible to both speaker and listener||Object away from both speaker and listener|
|Korean Demonstrative Adjectives||이 사람 – this person||그 사람 – that person||저 사람 – that person|
|Pronoun (with Korean Subject Marker – 이)||이게 – this thing||그게 – that thing||저게 – tat thing|
|Pronoun (with Korean Topic Marker – 은)||이건 – this thing||그건 – that thing||저건 – that thing|
|Korean Adverbs||여기 – here||거기 – there||저기 – there|