Continue from Learn Korean Language Lesson 13 – Korean Informal Polite Sentence Endings, today we will learn Korean Object Marker -을/를 [ eul/reul ]. Do you remember that when form a Korean sentences, Korean verb comes last in Comparison of Korean and English? Hence, not like English, the order of the Korean sentence is usually: subject, object, verb such as 캐시 씨는 텔레비전을 봐요. [ kae-si-ssi-neun-tel-re-bi-jeon-eul-bwa-yo ] – Casey watches television.
Learn Korean Lesson 14 – Korean Object Marker
In Korean, objects are designated by the object marker 을/를. 을/를 is a particle used to identify the object of a verb in a sentence. The rules are the same as others. 을 is used when a noun ends with a consonant (with batchim)and 를 is used when a noun ends with a vowel (without batchim). Do you remember what is batchim? Refer Korean Consonants 3. The subject is often omitted when it is obvious to the other person. Sometimes, in Korean, the subject is often omitted in colloquial conversation, people often leave the object marker 을/를 out.
Ending with a vowel
- 차를 마셔요. [ cha-reul-ma-syeo-yo ] – I drink tea.
- 사과를 먹어요. [ sa-gwa-reul-meo-geo-yo ] – I eat an apple.
- 친구를 만나요. [ chin-gu-reul-man-na-yo ] – I meet my friend.
- 한국어를 공부해요. [ han-gu-geo-reul-gong-bu-hae-yo ] – I study Korean.
Ending with a consonants
- 옷을 사요. [ os-eul-sa-yo ] – I buy clothes.
- 책을 읽어요. [ chae-geul-il-geo-yo ] – I read a book.
- 밥을 먹어요. [ ba-beul-meo-geo-yo ] – I eat a meal.
- 아이스크림을 사요. [ a-i-seu-keu-rim-eul-sa-yo ] – I buy ice cream.
So now, you may form a Korean sentence by combining what you have learned before such as Korean Subject Marker, Korean Informal Polite Sentence Endings. For examples, the pattern for using 을/를 is – Subject (이/가), Object (을/를), Verb (Korean Sentence Ending Form). See examples below.
- 빌리 씨가 친구를 만나요. [ bil-ri-ssi-ga-chin-gu-reul-man-na-yo ] – Billy meets a friend.
- 캔디 씨가 음식을 먹어요. [ kaen-di-ssi-ga-eum-si-geul-meo-geo-yo ] – Candi eats food.
- 크리스티나 씨가 옷을 사요. [ keu-ri-seu-ti-na-ssi-ga-o-seul-sa-yo ] – Christina buy clothes.
- 다니엘 책을 읽어요. [ da-ni-el-chae-geul-il-geo-yo ] – Daniel read a book.
Continue to Learn Korean Language Lesson 15 – Korean Place Marker. We will learn particle that indicates where the action conveyed by the verb phrase takes place in the next lesson. View Korean verbs list. Try Korean Language Exercises 4.