Learn Korean Language Lesson 12 – Korean Linking Verb
Continue from Lesson 11 – Korean Subject Marker. Today, we will Korean Linking Verb – 이에요/예요 [ i-e-yo/ye-yo ]. We have learned this in Learn Korean Language Lesson 5 – Korean Sentence Endings Expressing Identification which are attached to nouns and the sentence structure of Korean order of questions and its answer are the same. Please focus on the opposite of 이에요/예요 in this lesson. In Learn Korean Language Lesson 5, the verb 이다, is a linking verb that requires a noun be attached to it.
Korean Linking Verb
Use 이에요/예요 like English word – Is. It helps describe some equivalence between two things. 이에요 directly follows words that end in a consonant (with batchim) such as 책이에요 – It is a book, 신문이에요 – It is a newspaper, and 예요 is used after words ending in a vowel (without batchim) such as 의자예요 – It is a chair, 지도예요 – It is a map. It is best interpreted as – is (a) ___.
- 이것은 책이에요. [ i-geo-seun-chaek-i-e-yo ] – This is a book.
- 그거는 지도예요. [ geu-geo-neun-ji-do-ye-yo ] – That is a map.
- 저사람은 최선생님이에요. [ jo-sa-ram-eun-choe-seon-saeng-nim-i-e-yo ] – That person over there is Teacher Choi.
- 그것이 무엇이에요? [ geu-geo-si-mu-eot-i-e-yo ] – What is that?
- 이것이 중국 신문이에요? [ i-geo-si-jung-guk-sin-mun-i-e-yo ] – Is this a Chinese newspaper?
아니에요 is the negative counterpart of -이에요/예요. Unlike 이에요/예요, the verb 아니에요 does not involve a directly attached noun. Rather, the pattern for using 아니에요 is – Topic (은/는), Subject (이/가), Verb. There are two particles (Topic Marker and Subject Marker) in a single sentence.
- 이것은 책이 아니에요. [ i-geo-seun-chaek-i-a-ni-e-yo ] – This is not a book.
- 그사람은 학생이 아니에요. [ geu-sa-ram-eun-hak-saeng-i-a-ni-e-yo ] – That person is not a student.
- 이것은 신문이 아니에요. [ i-geo-seun-sin-mun-i-a-ni-e-yo ] – This is not a newspaper.
- 저는 선생님이 아니에요. [ jo-neun-seon-saeng-nim-i-a-ni-e-yo ] – I am not a teacher.
- 이거는 냉장고가 아니에요. [ i-geo-neun-naeng-jang-go-ga-a-ni-e-yo ] – This is not a refrigerator.
You must always remember that 아니에요 does not involve a directly attached noun. The formula will always be -이/가 아니에요. If possible, please revise Learn Korean Language Lesson 10 – Korean Demonstrative Adjectives – This/That/That for the differences between 이것, 이거, 이게 and 이건. Continue to Learn Korean Language Lesson 13 – Korean Informal Polite Sentence Endings.