Korean Cuisine: Kimchi Recipe
Today, we have we Kimchi recipe in Emagasia, in order to teach you how to make Kimchi, the delicious yet high in nutrition Korean cuisine. The instruction is very simple, easy and understandable. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s go and prepare the ingredients and start make this delicious, high in nutrition Korean food Kimchi.
Kimchi Recipe Ingredients
Please prepare the Kimchi Recipe ingredients as follows. More of the dried red chili pepper flakes if you like things spicy, less if you don’t.
- Napa Cabbage – approximately one pound
- 1 Carrot
- 4 cups of cold water
- 3 tablespoons of sea salt/kosher salt
- 1 tablespoonof fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh green onions ( scallions ), finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of dried red chili pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of sugar
- Anchovy sauce
- Sesame oil
Kimchi Recipe Directions:
Please make sure you follow the Kimchi Recipe directions as follows in order to make delicious Kimchi!
1. Separate and wash cabbage leaves.
2. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sea or kosher salt evenly on cabbage leaves. Place salted cabbage leaves in a large bowl, add 4 cups of cold water, cover with plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator overnight. Be sure that water covers all cabbage leaves – place a plate or other heavy object on top of leaves to ensure that they stay covered with water.
3. The next day, pour off water and thoroughly rinse cabbage leaves. You can shake them gently in the sink to remove excess moisture.
4. Cut the carrot into thin strips. Length is around 3cm and width is around 0.2 to 0.5 cm
5. Mix all the ingredients – carrot, sea salt, garlic, ginger, green onions, dried red chili pepper flakes, sugar, anchovy sauce and sesame oil together. If you like sesame, can add some into the seasoning also.
6. Use your hands to rub seasoning evenly into all cabbage leaves. Be sure to use gloves to do this, otherwise, your hands will burn from chili flakes. If you are pressed of time, mix seasoning ingredients with about a cup of warm water before adding them to cabbage to allow for easier distribution on cabbage leaves.
7. Transfer seasoned cabbage leaves into a large glass bottle. Be sure to use firm pressure with your hands to push down on cabbage leaves as they stack up inside the bottle. Transfer any liquid that accumulated during the mixing process into the bottle as well – it will become Kimchi Brine. Some liquid will also come out of the cabbage leaves as you press down on them as they are stacked in the bottle.
8. Leave about 2 inches of room at top of the bottle before capping it tightly with a lid. Allow bottle of Kimchi to sit at room temperature for 2 – 3 days.
Kimchi Recipe is done!
Your Kimchi is now ready to eat! Use scissors or a knife and cutting board to cut cabbage leaves into 2 inch pieces before serving as a side dish to a bowl of rice, soup, and perhaps a piece of fish. Refrigerate remaining Kimchi and take out small portions right before meals.
The refrigerated Kimchi will continue to ferment slowly in the refrigerator over time, becoming more sour and flavorful with each passing day. So long as you use clean utensils to take out small portions, it will keep for up to a month in your refrigerator.